It all came together

After a little bit of work and a lot of time, the two yard projects finally came together. Well, truthfully, there’s four projects in this picture, but the two I’m referring to are the chairs and the fire pit.

The final fitting of the propane burner wasn’t too difficult. A little bit of tweaking and it should be good to go for a long time- or until the propane runs out.

A Long Day on a Small bike

The San Francisco Classic was a few weekends ago. It’s a scooter rally put on by the Black Sheep Scooter Club in San Francisco for vintage scooters. After some deliberation and a little bit of preparation I decided to ride the 60+ miles to SF for the show.

I hit some fun scenery along the way, rode out from under the fog early, stopped for a coffee in Fairfax and made it in time for the 11:00 am ride.

The rally was a good time. There were a ton of vintage bikes there in all conditions, from “barn fresh” to full restored.

We smoked up SF in grand style, riding a curvatious route up and down most of the hills and finally ending up in Harding Park for a BBQ.

Then it was back on the road to get home before dark. This time I took the coast route and made time on Hwy 1 chasing down a bunch of Harleys. They had me in the straights but I caught them in the curves every time. I’m pretty sure the tail rider was not happy seeing me in his mirrors.

I ran my SPOT tracker the whole way… Here’s the track:

It was a long day indeed. Over 150 miles on a 2-stroke, 200cc metal frame, manual shift scooter. I do it again tomorrow if I had a reason. Or even if I didn’t have a reason but did have the time.

Thriving Hive

We went out about 8 weeks after the installation of the bees to have a poke through the hive. Ordinarily we would have been in the hive several times already, but since we put together a Top Bar Hive and are planning on minimally intervening with the bees, we patiently waited while only taking daily peeks through the window. Besides, the bees know what to do to thrive. It’s our job to make sure that they have all the tools to do that, and if we get some honey that’s cool too.

At the end of the hive, where they should have been building comb to store honey, they were building comb and storing honey. Very nice. The top white section is capped honey and the shiny stuff in the rest of the cells is unripe honey. Once they’ve evaporated enough water out of the honey they’ll cap that too.

This comb has a good amount of capped brood, a few uncapped cells with larvae in the them and some capped honey at the top. As we worked our way through the hive we didn’t see anything alarming. We never saw the queen, though there are obvious signs that she’s there and thriving.

The hive has been buttoned up since then. Over the summer, when I expected there to be a nectar dearth I saw lots of pollen going in. They built up some more comb on the last few bars and seem the be maintaining the population of the hive from the spring. The last few bars are cross-combed, but that will be easy to handle in the spring when we’ll move the comb down and allow the bees to build new comb in the brood chamber.