We picked up our package of bees today at Beekind in Sebastopol and installed them into the top bar hive I built for the back yard. We followed their directions on the installation and left the package upside down over the top of the hive so the bees can situate themselves. That is, after we removed the queen cage and attached her to one of the top bars.
Instead of spraying the bees with sugar water to give them a distraction, then thumping the box on the ground and pouring them into the hive, which is said to be fairly traumatic, we just inverted the package over the end of the bars that we’d like them to build comb on and covered it all up with a heavy tarp.
More later, in a day or two.