With the re-arrangement of the garage, it was possible to do some work in there again. Combining a couple of interests, the latest project was construction of a top bar beehive. While the white box we’re all associated with it what you have in mind, this is quite different, requires a bit more work to keep up, but requires almost no extra equipment to manage. We’ll see how that all works out.
The design is from a guy in England, and everything there is metric. His dimensions, when translated, come to some nice full size lumber numbers here. Except you can’t easily get 12″x1″ boards around here. I ended up gluing up some boards then trimming ripping them in the table saw to get them to the right dimension.
The hive works horizontally. You may notice that I’ve included a window. I did that because I know that my curiosity would get the best of me and I’d be in the hive every week micromanaging the poor bees if I didn’t give myself a way to just look at ‘em every once in a while.
I put a nice copper foil roof on it then stuck it out in the yard so that it could “season” in the weather a bit before we install the bees later in April. Sorry, no outside pictures of it yet.