We Installed Bees into the Hive Today

We picked up our package of bees today at Beekind in Sebastopol and installed them into the top bar hive I built for the back yard. We followed their directions on the installation and left the package upside down over the top of the hive so the bees can situate themselves. That is, after we removed the queen cage and attached her to one of the top bars.

Instead of spraying the bees with sugar water to give them a distraction, then thumping the box on the ground and pouring them into the hive, which is said to be fairly traumatic, we just inverted the package over the end of the bars that we’d like them to build comb on and covered it all up with a heavy tarp.

More later, in a day or two.

The Chairs are in

If you can't see the picture, you're missing out!

We had the steel chairs powder coated. They are now “Harley Orange” with a clear metal flake finish. Originally we were going to have the seating surfaces done in an antique white, but I think that they’re going to stay this way for a while. We photo-chopped some white-ish surfaces into the pictures and the chairs we less spectacular by the fact that there was less orange. Maybe when we’re a bit less smitten with these things we’ll make the change but for now they contrast very well with the blue Adirondacks we have back there.

Fitting feet to them is next on the list, so we don’t scratch all the coating off the bottom.

The Wood Shop was Open for a Little Bit Last Month

With the re-arrangement of the garage, it was possible to do some work in there again. Combining a couple of interests, the latest project was construction of a top bar beehive. While the white box we’re all associated with it what you have in mind, this is quite different, requires a bit more work to keep up, but requires almost no extra equipment to manage. We’ll see how that all works out.

The design is from a guy in England, and everything there is metric. His dimensions, when translated, come to some nice full size lumber numbers here. Except you can’t easily get 12″x1″ boards around here. I ended up gluing up some boards then trimming ripping them in the table saw to get them to the right dimension.

The hive works horizontally. You may notice that I’ve included a window. I did that because I know that my curiosity would get the best of me and I’d be in the hive every week micromanaging the poor bees if I didn’t give myself a way to just look at ‘em every once in a while.

I put a nice copper foil roof on it then stuck it out in the yard so that it could “season” in the weather a bit before we install the bees later in April. Sorry, no outside pictures of it yet.