It’s all coming to a head (set)

One of you helpful people mentioned that I should use the little metal caps from old spark plugs to make the 4th Hand Tool even better. The only problem was that I don’t normally save old spark plugs and the one’s that I had didn’t have the sleeves- they were cast without ‘em.

The hardware store once again proved to be a good source for stuff. I found nylon bushings or sleeves or whatever they are in the loose parts bins where I go to find all my metric screws.

Sorry, the camera didn’t rotate the picture and neither did any of the software.

In the picture in the previous post you can see how I used it to space the 4th Hand Tool away from the throttle cam leaving me with more space for my hands and tools. A great idea. Thanks to adastra for mentioning it.

You saw a picture of the awesome ferrules that came on my scoot when I had them all apart for cleaning. The problem then arises that I must put the little press back into the ferrule before the screw and make sure it’s oriented properly for tightening. Here’s how I did it:

Get a small bit of grease on the bottom of the screw:

Then pick up the press:

…and screw it into the ferrule. Presto.

Did I mention that the 4th Hand Tool is brilliant? If I didn’t, it’s Brilliant. It makes cake work out of adjusting cables.

(no pictures of the clutch cable assembly)
On to the front brake cable. While poking through the parts I realized that the bracket came with orientation markings:

That made it easy to get the parts together properly and finish that up.

With all the controls attached and roughly adjusted, I turned back to the details of the headset.
Reattaching the right side switch assembly:

Looking for the speedometer cable cuff. It’s in there somewhere!

I tried the old “air up the tube from the bottom” trick but I couldn’t get enough flow. So I grabbed a length of stainless wire and fashioned a hook then spent a good 15 minutes fishing around in there trying to catch it and pull it up. I finally got it, but not before I got the feeling it would be easier to slim-jim most cars.

Putting the finishing touches on the bike, I couldn’t help but be a little giddy. It’s been months since I put it up on the table. I backed it down and started it. It idles pretty well without having done anything but return the adjustments in the carb to where they were when I took it apart.

I took it for a little spin and discovered that the front brake binds horribly when I use it. It’s like there’s not much there, then suddenly it’s almost skid time.

Upon inspection, the shoes, which were installed last fall seemed to have a glazed-like surface on them. So I sanded them down a bit and reinstalled.

It’s much better but not perfect. Perhaps it wouldn’t be so dramatic using the front brakes if the suspension didn’t bottom out every time? I suppose a new spring and shock are in the (near) future.

In the mean time, I’ll take it out for a spin on the next nice day and get the carburetor dialed in once it’s good and hot.

The Headset that wouldn’t come alive!

So I’ve had a bit more time to spend in the garage. Here’s the latest:

I started with the throttle cable just for the sake of it. This would allow me to finally get the top back on the carb box. I bought the cable that has the welded bead on the carburetor end because I felt it would be easier to make the adjustments in the headset where there’s more room.

(anyone notice what’s wrong with the above picture?)

The ferrule is tiny. I needed a 5mm wrench so I had to bust out my ignition wrench set which I keep for adjusting valves on the motorcycles.

The wife just got home. Time for lunch…

Headset Madness

Meanwhile at the other end of the work bench:

Parts were soaking in carb cleaner to get the crap off ‘em.

Guess what I found when I started cleaning parts?

Yep, more awesome details. Check out the little shims they put in the ferrules to keep the twisting motion of the screw off of the cable. AWESOME.

Once all the control parts are clean, I start putting it together.

I still love the engineering that went into the construction of these scooters. There’s so much thought in how the controls work. I inserted the throttle tube and shifter tube then dropped the clips to keep ‘em together.

One by one I inserted new cables into the cable housings. First the shift cables. Then the throttle cable and last the clutch and brake cables. I sure am glad I saved the easy ones for last! 

The shifter cables catch on the ferrules at the tail end and the housings had to be pulled out of the ferrules, then re-inserted once the cable itself was fed through.

This little bastard goes in the clutch lever assembly on the end of the cable housing.

Except that it doesn’t fit in from the outside. And if you put it on the cable then slide the cable housing in it falls off and rolls under the workbench. So then you drop it in place through the throttle tube and use picks to get it aligned properly before you feed the cable through. What a pain in the ass.

It goes in there:

Brake cable not installed yet:

So four hours later, this is what I’ve got:

The headset is assembled, all the cables are in but none are adjusted. The steering bearings are greased, the levers are attached but not tight, and I’ve come up with a crazy plan to make my 6V DC horn work on this 12v AC bike.

Today I took a break from life and took the KTM up into the hills. After a brief stint of work I’ll get back to getting back to it.