More of the same?

The last vase was cut from 1/8″ steel. With a jig saw. I blew through 6 blades but still managed to get the shapes close. The flap wheel helped me get them even.

Not wanting to endure the same fate again, I made a quick CAD drawing with some free software and sent it over to the local metals supplier who just happens to have a massive C & C plasma cutter. Seriously, this machine is like 15 feet by 50 feet. So they didn’t have any problems cutting up a 4×8 sheet of 16 gauge sheet.

These are the shapes I had them cut:

There’s enough to build two vases of each shape, drop a terracotta pot in the top and add a base with feet. The feet themselves haven’t arrived from southern California yet, so the build process has stopped for now.

 

Shapes

I have some interesting ideas. One of them involves some simple but time consuming shapes. I spent an afternoon or two in the garage the other day putting together a sample. We’ll see how it comes out after it’s been powder coated.

And no, the blender is not finished. I ran into a snag and haven’t addressed it yet.

And now, it’s back from the powder coater and filled with flowers.

20140304-193028.jpg

Roadside adjustments

There was some riding to be a little while ago. For the most part, with the weird weather patterns we’re having right now, there is still riding to be had daily. Alas, I had ridden the Vespa up to Santa Rosa where my buddy lives. We took off on a little spin around town when he started having trouble. A roadside repair was in order.

As it turns out, the top of the carburetor came off. All the screws had backed out and the spring and slide were loose. It makes for some exciting downhills when the carb doesn’t close.

After some time tinkering with it, and some fun with the stock, original tool kit from my scooter, we got back on the road again only to have another failure later. This problem appears to be electrical and has not been sorted yet.  :-(